“I thrive on helping patients maximize function, as well as minimize disability and time away from sports/work/school/activities that they love.”
– Dr. Kiyoshi Yamazaki
Meet Dr. Kiyoshi Yamazaki
|SPORTS MEDICINE||FAMILY MEDICINE|
Over the past decade, Dr. Kiyoshi Yamazaki has served as a sideline physician for multiple professional, collegiate, high school, and Olympic-level athletes. He continues to help weekend warriors, industrial workers, outdoor enthusiasts and athletes return to their active lifestyles.
Dr. Yamazaki is the sports medicine physician at HealthFit. He brings a unique set of traits not found in many family medicine practices. With specialized training and experience in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of musculoskeletal ailments and injuries, he performs and directs non-surgical treatment, guides appropriate PT/OT/Kinesiology care, and expedites referrals to specialty orthopedic surgeons when needed. When possible, he offers patients minimally invasive, ultrasound-guided injection procedures including cortisone/steroid, platelet-rich plasma and stem cell shots as viable options rather than orthopedic surgery.
Dr. Yamazaki graduated from Pomona College with his Bachelor of Arts in anthropology. He went on to get his doctor of medicine from the University of St. Eustatius School of Medicine. He completed both a residency in family medicine at Southwest Georgia Family Medicine Residency Program, and a fellowship in primary care sports medicine at Southwest Georgia Sports Medicine Program with Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital.
He cherishes the opportunity to guide patients in pain to understand its cause, to offer aggressive yet nonoperative options, and to heal, resolve or treat the root causes of their complaints. Dr. Yamazaki always recommends ways to proactively prevent the recurrence of these issues in the future, while his patients aim to return to full activity in the lifestyle they choose to pursue.
Dr. Yamazaki strives to approach each patient’s musculoskeletal complaint in a comprehensive, hands-on manner, allowing him to discover the root causes of pain and dysfunction rather than make assumptions based on a single X-ray or MRI.
Dr. Yamazaki has been a competitive athlete all his life. Some of his many athletic activities include basketball, gymnastics, snowboarding, fly fishing, track and cross country. He also enjoys camping, cooking, eating and spending time with family and friends.
- Pomona College, Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology.
- University of St. Eustatius School of Medicine.
- Family Medicine Residency at Southwest Georgia Family Medicine Residency Program.
- Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship at Southwest Sports Medicine Program.
What patients are saying
“I have been a patient of Dr. Yamazaki for about a year. He is a thorough professional who listens with care and treats with compassion. He is highly skilled. Of the three orthopedic doctors I have seen in Castle Rock he stands head and shoulders above them. For diagnostic services and treatment, I most highly recommend Dr. Yamazaki.”
— A HealthFit patient
- Board certified – Family Medicine.
- Board certified – Sports Medicine (CAQ-SM).
- American Heart Association, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS).
- American Heart Association, Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
- Advanced Hyperbaric Medicine Technician.
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.
- Community Faculty of the Year Award (2016).
- Georgia Trend 40 Under 40 Award (2013).
- Albany Herald 40 Under 40 Award (2013).
- Community Service Award for Southwest Georgia Family Medicine Residency Program (2011).
Did you know?
- Dr. Yamazaki has been a competitive athlete since he was very young, and was a member of NCAA athletic teams in basketball, cross country and track in Southern California.
- Over the years Dr. Yamazaki has been the team physician for many high school and college teams. Currently, he is a consulting physician for Douglas County High School and Castle View High School.
- He is conversational in Spanish and did an immersion program in Cuernavaca, Mexico.
- Dr. Yamazaki is a 4th generation Japanese-American who was born and raised in Los Angeles.
- He is an Eagle Scout, the highest achievement of rank attainable in the Boy Scouts of America.
- He has always gone by his middle name, Kiyoshi, and not by his first name, Steven.
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT
Send a question
Meet our providers